Law School Civil Liberties Service To Help Draft Bowles Protest Suit

By James Lardner

Two University organizations moved yesterday to oppose the Corporation's dismissal of Samuel S. Bowles, instructor in Economics.

The Civil Liberties Research Service, a Law School group, will begin to work this week on the Bowles case. Bowles has filed suit to force the University to reinstate him, and the Service will do the "library work" for his attorney, Jerold Berlin.

The Harvard Undergraduate Council has also came to Bowles's support. Gregory B. Craig '66, president of the HUC, said that he would offer a policy statement on Bowles's dismissal at next Monday's meeting. "I hope we make a very strong stand in Bowles's support," Craig said.

The Law School Group will also work on the case of Joseph Pedlosky, an associate professor of Mathematics at M.I.T. who refused to sign the loyalty oath. Gary T. Schwartz, a third-year student at the Law School, and a member of the Service group, believes that there is a considerable chance of winning the cases.

Twenty-three students in Bowles's EC 1 section have also opposed Bowles' dismissal. They signed a petition which urged that Bowles not be dismissed until a decision is handed-down in the M.I.T. case.

The petition praised Bowles' "high qualities as a teacher," but did not explicitly condone his stand against the oath. It only stated that Bowles' refusal to sign was a decision which concerned "his private ideas and beliefs," and asked that he "not be hindered from continuing to be of genuine service to the University."