Harvard to Finish Season In Game Against Bulldogs

By Joel R. Kramer

Game Time: 8:30 p.m. at Boston Garden

The Harvard hockey team will polish off its campaign tonight against an improving Yale squad in Boston Garden. The inconsistent Crimson six will have to contend with a team that has beaten them twice and has played three good games in a row.

It is difficult to guess how the game will go, for Harvard has been unpredictable all season. Some nights, like in the 5-4 win over Cornell, they have looked like league leaders; but then there is the 6-3 loss to Princeton, not a formidable foe.

Sweet Victory

Considering the outlook when the season opened, it has not been a bad year for the icemen, and a win tonight will give Coach Cooney Weiland and his skaters something sweet to remember for the next nine months. Besides, three losses to Yale in one season is more than any Crimson-blooded athlete can swallow

Harvard is an offensive team, and they will be relying heavily tonight on the line of Kent Parrot, Pete Waldinger, and Dennis McCullough. If the all-sophomore second line -- Jack Garrity, Bob Fredo, and Don Grimble can keep the temperature high around Zef Fessenden's cage, Harvard could explode.

For most of the season, Yale was a one-line team, and they were buried deep in the ECAC standings. It was quite a line, with juniors Jack Walsh, Jack Morrison, and Warren Gelman averaging about two goals per game among them, but they were carrying the load alone.

Blue Volcano

The Elis erupted from their doldrums three days before last week's Harvard-Yale contest when they battled mighty St. Lawrence to a 3-3 tie. Each line chipped in one score in that surprising overtime match. Harvard came to Ingalls to play a fired-up squad, and the Crimson had to win to stay in contention for an ECAC spot.

Against Princeton on Wednesday, Weiland shuffled his cards so everyone got a chance, and the 4-1 win with Dex Newton in the cage made the previous loss to the Tigers look that much more embarrassing.

Saint Fessenden

The Yale defense is quite shoddy, and Fessenden usually looks like a martyr on the ice, making dozens of fine stops in the course of a game. Even though the defensive combinations have shown sparks of life -- against Dartmouth and Princeton -- the Crimson should be able to get through to Fessenden consistently.

Being a one-line sextet does not mean Yale can't score. Morrison and Walsh are two of the finest forwards in the East. At Ingalls last week, they put on quite a show, considering that Morrison's knee was so badly injured that he couldn't walk six hours before the game. If the