Marcos May Get Harvard Degree Here This June

By Robert J. Domrese

Ferdinand E. Marcos, president of the Philippines, has been approached by Harvard to receive an honorary doctorate degree at this year's commencement exercises.

According to last Sunday's edition of Manila Times, "unimpeachable source have indicated that Harvard has put out a "feeler" exploring the possibility of conferring the degree on Marcos. According to the sources Harvard has said it "would be greatly honored if President Marcos could find time to accept an honory doctorate degree in commencement exercises next month."

The Times also speculated that the "feeler" indicates Marcos may be planning a state visit to the United States in summer. Harvard confers about a dozen degrees every year on the condition that the recipients accept the degree in person.

Last year Adial E. Stevenson received honorary Doctor of Laws degree. Two other statesmen, Romulo Betancourt, former president of Venezuala, and Galo Lasso, former president of Ecuador, also received honorary LL D's.

A spokesman for the University would confirm the Marcos "feeler". Traditionally. Harvard does not reveal degree recipients or the principal speaker until the day of commencement.