Students Resolve to Circulate Petitions Requesting University to Hold Referendum on Draft Procedure

Faculty Group to Consider Draft

"We believe that class standing should not effect a student's draft status; that It is an undemocratic system which discriminates against the least fortunate people in our society," said Hilary W. Putnam, professor of Philosophy and chairman of the Boston Area Faculty Committee on Public Issues.

Putnam was speaking for the steering committee of the BAFCOPI, which had just wired its support to a faculty meeting in Wisconsin stating its position that grades should be kept out of the Selective Service System.

Next Wednesday there will be a meeting of the BAFCOPI to decide whether any resolutions will be passed on the grades issue, but Putnam doubts that any strong stand will be taken. It's the end of the term, Putnam explained, and unfortunately political crises do not stop for summer vacations. We can only hope that professors will continue to voice their opinions wherever they are during the summer, he added.

BAFCOPI does not have a regular membership, but consists of some 2000 professors in the Boston Area who have signed ads protesting the war in Vietnam.