University Begins to Study Effects of Train Extension

Would Pass Under 'Cliffe

The University Planning Office has started preliminary studies on ways to next Harvard-Radcliffe property from the effects of a subway tunnel beneath Radcliffe Yard.

Harold L. Goyette, university planning officer, said yesterday that the MBTA's posed extension could pose problems of vibration and noise. But, he added, can't believe that any of the problems are insurmontable given proper engineering studies and proper construction."

Goyette said that the University would also prefer that the tunnel be built to allow for future construction within the Radcliffe Yard. No buildings are now scheduled for the Yard, he said, but with "the shortage of land being what it is in Cambridge, we don't like to lose any good building sites."

The MBTA has yet to release final plans for its extension to Porter Square in North Cambridge. However, most observers believe that the MBTA strongly favors the route that would take the tunnel beneath the Yard. The subway would then go up Massachusetts Ave, to Porter Square, where it would use existing railroad tracks and continue further into North Cambridge.

The University will study how deep the tunnel should go, and how thick the concrete shell of the tunnel should be, to minimize surface effects of the subway. Goyette emphasized, however, that until the MBTA makes final its design for the extension, the University will be unable to begin 'detailed studies.

Goyette foresaw a possible conflict between the University and the MBTA: to accommodate Harvard and Radcliffe by minimizing noise and vibration, the MBTA might have to increase the cost of the Cambridge extension.

The agency has estimated that the extension will cost about $55 million and should be completed by the end of 1969.