HSA Publishing Guide To U.S. Student Jobs

By William Woodward

Harvard Student Agencies (HSA) plans to publish a new book on student employment for national distribution later on this year.

The book, "Let's Go To Work," will appear in December and will stress the diversified types of employment available to students.

It will be the first book to use case histories as illustrations of types of jobs and how students can get them. The case studies will be drawn from over 300 interviews taken from students at the summer school who have worked at more than thirty different universities.

"We hope that this book will encourage students around the country to see that there is a tremendous variety of high paying jobs open to them," Dustin M. Burke '52', HSA's general manager, said in a recent interview.

The purpose of "Let's Go To Work" will be to show students that there are jobs to suit different needs. In addition to full-time and part-time employment, the book will distinguish among jobs to learn special skills, jobs to make money, jobs for career experience, and jobs simply for fun.

"We are not listing available jobs," said Charles W. Filson '66, former President of HSA, "we are trying to teach students how to go about getting jobs in these different areas."

"Let's Go To Work" will be written by students, for students, from a students point of view, and Margaret Gerlach, editor of the publication, "and will fill a real need in the field."

In addition to case studies, a second section will answer 100 questions students seeking employment commonly ask. Contributions for this section will be written by both businessmen and employment and financial officers from universities around the country.

Besides showing students how to use their special skills, Burke said he hoped "the book would show students the pattern of how a good business can start on a small scale, and encourage them to see the steps to interesting employment."

The book will be 200 pages long and will sell or $1.95. It will carry advertising, and may be underwritten by one or more large companies. The first printing is estimated at 40,000 copies.

Harvard Student Agencies began in 1957, and has traditionally emphasized the need for student initative and small student businesses. It employs more than 400 students, and operates 23 separate businesses in the Harvard community. Last year HSA sales were $1.2 million