Harriers to Find Trouble With Penn and Columbia

By James K. Glassman

Radclyffe Thompson, Sam Schippelbaine, and Steve Kelso (no kidding) -- this unlikely trio could give the Harvard cross-country team real trouble when it travels to New York today.

The harriers take on Columbia and Penn at Van Cortlandt Park. And although host Columbia should cop first and second places, the Crimson's main competition will come from Thompson, Schippelbaine, Kelso & Co. -- members of Penn's strong and solid squad.

Columbia's captain Bennett Flax didn't lose a race during the regular 1965 season. He finished seventh in the Heptagonals and was an All-Ivy selection. He would be the man to beat tomorrow, but nobody has a chance to beat him.

The Lions' Bob Conway probably won't be beaten either -- except by Flax. But after those two, Columbia has nothing. And cross-country meets aren't won by two men, as Harvard has been reminded in its past two races.

The Penn Story

Penn is quite another story. Jim Tuepenny -- Penn's got all the names -- who was formerly an assistant coach at Villanova, has molded the Quakers into a well-balanced team. Thompson is his top man, but Earl Andrews and Rich Pokorney have given Harvard trouble in the past.

Penn has a good gang of sophomores too. The Crimson's Doug Hardin, who has won both races this year, placed first in the freshman meet with Penn in 1965. But within five seconds of Hardin came five Quakers. They're back this year and they could give Hardin another tussle.

Harvard coach Bill McCurdy will field just about the same team he did Wednesday. Jim Baker's ankle is still trouble-some, and Dick Howe could be slowed down by a stomach ailment. But Hardin, the Crimson's biggest surprise of the year, will be ready. Hardin whipped off a Harvard record at Franklin Park Wednesday and he could grab second or third today.

Still, Hardin can't do it all alone. Jim Smith who placed third in the 24-37 loss to Northeastern should do well again today. After that, it's a big question mark. Sophomore Bruce Jones looked good in spots against the Huskies and Bill Stempson seems on the way to recovery after an infected foot. If they are sharp, the Crimson just might knock off Penn.