Dudley, Dunster Formulate Faculty-Student Committee

Members of two Houses--Dudley and Dunster--have discussed plans for a Faculty-student dialogue on University issues, including Harvard's involvement with the Vietnam war.

Stanley H. Hoffmann, professor of Government, proposed the interchange between Faculty and students at a Faculty meeting last week.

Dudley House established a five-man ad hoc committee Tuesday to consider the structure of the dialogue and the topics to be discussed. Next week, the committee will announce its recommendations on the following ideas:

* A program of House forums at which speakers could debate University complicity in the war, University research under government grants, and freedom of speech on campus;

* House publications to allow formal presentaion of political points of view;

* The possibility of obtaining a grant to finance whatever structure is established.

Thomas E. Crooks '49, Master of Dudley House, explained that "the committee will tell us what kind of committee we need," but will not tackle complex University issues.

Marshall J. Cohen, assistant senior tutor in Dudley House, Michael S. Ansara '67-4, Robert L. Bradley '68, Jonathan M. Harris '68, and Victor A. Koivumake '68, will serve on the ad hoc committee.

Ten members of Dunster House and Lawrence A. Blum, resident tutor, last night discussed suggestions for the organization of the proposed Faculty-student committee.

They said the committee should consist of one member from each of the nine Houses, three freshmen, three from Radcliffe, and three students from the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.

In addition to the relation of the University and the war, the Dunster men recommended that the committee discuss charges that Harvard has financial involvements with firms that practice racial discrimination.

The Dunster members will present their suggestions to Hoffmann sometime next week.

Other meetings on the Faculty-student committee will be held in Quincy and Leverett Sunday.

Mary I. Bunting, President of Radcliffe, and a group of Cliffies from Henry House, an off-campus dorm, have recently formed The Committee for Effective Action, which is designed for professors and students who have "tried to do something about the war."