Radcliffe Will Permit Counsel for Protestors

The Radcliffe Judicial Board will allow eight Cliffies, whose participation in the Dow demonstration it will review today, the option of being represented by a "chosen advisor."

A note sent yesterday to each of the eight by the Dean of her House stated that the advisor "must be a member of the University community holding an appointment from the Harvard Corporation or the Radcliffe Council or a person approved by the Chairman of the Judicial Board."

First Advocates

This is the first time the Judicial Board has allowed representation by counsel. Mary I. Bunting, president of Radcliffe, said yesterday that this decision "does not involve any reversal in policy, but came in response to new questions and in the interest of sound judgment." She said the decision would set a precedent.

The decision came in response to a letter requesting legal counsel sent to Mrs. Bunting last week by the eight Cliffies.

Yesterday's note also stated that the students may decline to appear before the Judicial Committee or may send in a written statement.

Meet Countryman

The eight Cliffies met with Vern Countryman, professor of law, last night, to discuss today's course of action. They declined to comment on their plans.

Gene B. Bishop '68, one of the eight, said she would probably not ask for equal punishment for more Cliffies than those whose cases are being considered today. "I don't see any advantage in having more students on probation, as that will only cause more paralysis of the political organizations on campus," Miss Bishop said.

Donna E. Lieberman '70, another of the eight, said today's decision would probably be accepted without further protest, "since no one has been severed and the Faculty will now discuss the real issues rather than question of discipline." She added, however, "If there is a fight, it will be a legal fight."