Racquetmen Prevail, Battle Cadets Today

The Harvard squash team rolled to an easy 8-1 victory over the University of Toronto yesterday afternoon in Hemenway Gym.

The team faces its first real test of the season today against the big guns of Army at West Point.

Harvard's top four players--Anil Nayar, Larry Terrell, Jose Gonzalez, and captain Rick Sterne--led the romp, all winning three straight games. "These four are stars," Coach Jack Barnaby said after the match. "They win with consummate ease."

The 3-0 wins of John Whitbeck, playing in the fifth position, and Bruce Weigand in the seventh gave Barnaby particular pleasure. Whitbeck, who suffered the only loss in last week's 8-1 triumph over Cornell, played a strong, steady game to defeat Toronto's Frank Swinton, 15-12, 15-12, 15-10. His hard backcourt drives were too much for Swinton to handle.

Took Command

Weigand, after holding on to win his first games, 16-15, took command of the match and trounced his opponent in the final two games, 15-12, and, 15-5. Barnaby said he has been pleased with Weigand's development over the first weeks of the season.

Jim Zimmerman, playing against Michel Scheinmann in the sixth position, was the only Toronto player to win. He defeated Scheinmann impressively, 15-11, 15-12, 15-11. Fritz Hobbs, playing eight, and Fernando Gonzalez, playing nine, won their matches in four and five games respectively.

"Our problem remains the second five, who are good, but not outstanding," Barnaby said. "Their play is often erratic, and they're on the edge of complacency because the top four always win. We've got to develop a second five pride."

Immediately after the match the team departed for West Point. Harvard hasn't lost to Army in squash since the 1940's, but Barnaby is wary of the service team. "They're dangerous not as individual champions, but as a unit," he said. "They're tough and they're belligerent. They play every game like football."