Trackmen Should Defeat Princeton, with Jim Baker Returning to Action

Meet Time: 1 p.m.

Jim Baker's return to competition after a two-week back injury should assure the Harvard team of an easy win over Princeton Saturday at Soldiers Field. But Tiger strength in the distances, the jumping events, and the javelin will prevent the Crimson, from coasting.

Baker will tangle with one of Princeton's best, miler Alan Andreini. Baker always dominates their encounters, but the steady Bengal has shown a-disconcerting habit of gaining the victories. Most impressive was Andreini's victory last spring after Baker had built up a thirty yard lead. Baker, gave signs before his injury that he was in the, best condition of his three year Harvard career.

In the two mile, Princeton star Richie Geisel has not shown Andreini's knack of coming up with his best against Harvard. If Baker runs the two mile, he and sophomore Doug Hardin might be able to take the pace away from Geisel. Geisel beat Hardin this winter in the Big Three meet, but has yet to beat Baker.

Tiger Jack Endricat in the half mile is perhaps Princeton's top man. Heptagonal and New Jersey half-mile champion last year. Endricat could get a stiff race from Harvard's Trey Burns and Tom Callahan. Burns is regaining the form which made him Heptagonal 1000 champion as a sophomore and ought to perform well once he shakes an achilles injury and gets some warm weather.

In the javelin, Princeton football player Hayward Gipson and Harvard sophomore Henry Bernsen have both thrown over 200-feet. But Bernsen has yet to hit that mark this year, while Gipson threw 204 ft. last week.

Princeton should win the high jump, broad jump, and triple jump, but the Crimson will dominate the sprints, hurdles, and weights. The gusty winds of Soldiers Field make the pole vault difficult to predict, but Harvard's Steve Schoonover is clearly the best in the field.

The undefeated freshmen face their stiffest competition of the season. This winter the yardlings stole a half-point victory from Princeton in the last event. "It could be argued that this makes the law unconstitutional," he said.

The conference, which has drawn divinity students from 11 other East Coast Schools, will continue today with lectures and small-group discussions. Similar conferences are being held this weekend at seminaries in New York and Pennsylvania.