Golfers Lose to Princeton

The Harvard golf team ended a surprisingly successfull 1967 season on a sour note Saturday at Princeton, losing to the Tigers, 5-2. Bruce LoPucki at number one and Roger Wales at number seven recorded Crimson victories, but in between it was all Nassau.

LoPucki came up with a good round on Princeton's Spring Valley Course to edge Tiger captain Charlie McDowell, a former junior champion. 1 up Wales also went to the 18th to take the measure of Don Adams.

Season's Worst Golf

Harvard's second man, Bob Keefe, typified the Crimson troubles. He played his worst golf of what was otherwise a fine season and lost to Hal Hoeland, 4 and 3. Brian McGuinn had a disastrously unfitting final round as Crimson captain falling 7 and 6.

Sophomores Tom Wynne and Paul Oldfield both had trouble with the 18th hole and succumbed 1 down, playing at four and five, respectively.

Bob Sinclair, also playing his final round for Harvard, lost to Jim Holman, 3 and 2. Sinclair and McGuinn, the only seniors on the team, both had excellent match records through the year before their inappropriate bows.

The Crimson golfers ended with a creditable 10-4 mark, losing only to powerful Navy, weak Holy Cross, and the big ones -- Yale and Princeton. The Elis repeated as League champions, having knocked off both Princeton and Harvard on the 20th holes of the seventh match.

But with five of the top seven -- including top men LoPucki and Keele -- returning to be joined by members of this year's outstanding freshman septet. Harvard should have an even better shot at the Ivy crown next season.