Big Name Groups To Spark Weekend

FOR THE young at heart, Spring Weekend 1967 promises unlimited fun and festivities. In addition to banquets which range from barbecues to candlelight dinners and entertainment which is equally varied, each House is throwing a gala dance with top name entertainers.

To present a more spectacular program than the single Houses could handle financially, Eliot, Quincy, and Winthrop decided to join forces. On Friday, May 12 from 8:30 to midnight the three will host dancing in the Freshman Union to the "vibrating soul of the Chambers Brothers and the groovin' sound of the Outsiders." The inspired blues of the Brothers alternating with the "Time Won't Let Me" sound of the Outsiders promises to set the somber Union ringing.

That same evening in the Leverett Courtyard the Chiffons and the Left Banke will be singing for the listening and dancing pleasure of the members of Adams, Dudley, Dunster, and Leverett Houses and, of course, their dates.

After a Friday afternoon "happening" and a psychedelic show, Kirkland House members will on Saturday night revel at a Barn Dance to be held in Concord. Bowing to one's partner and dos-y-do-ing will be replaced by a more modern set of steps and gyrations as the rock 'n' roll sound of Thee Argo replaces the more traditional strains of the barn dance fiddler.

Lowell House views Spring Weekend as a communal activity; this year Lowell's program combines tradition with novelty. The Forerunners, whose first public appearance at Harvard occurred at a Lowell mixer, will present their last public University concert on Saturday, May 13 at 8 p.m. in the House dining room.

To accommodate the crowds and cater to their diverse preferences in music, Lowell is also presenting the VIP's, who will entertain in the junior common room.

According to Whit Peters, Lowell House social chairman, it takes months of "blood, sweat, and tears" to plan a weekend whose elaborate agenda is quickly and blithely lived and enjoyed.