Moynihan

about labor situations like their own. After the meeting he returned to Cambridge, but he kept in touch with his friend Zartman.

He also entered into "extended conversations" about the Kodak-FIGHT dispute, particularly with FIGHT- founder Saul Alinsky, who was in Cambridge too. Moynihan knows Alinsky and calls him "an honorable man." From those conversations it seemed to him that it would be fruitful to reopen negotiations.

"Remember," says Moynihan, "that negotiations had been broken o. Nobody had talked for four months. And plans were being made, plans which would have been bad news for everybody."

"At that point I was able to inform Kodak that I thought that if they were able to re-enter negotiations with FIGHT, they would probably find FIGHT's conditions for doing so acceptable." He offered Kodak "not merely hope" but "reason to believe that something would happen if they reopened talks."

And something did.

In the final agreement, Kodak agreed to recognize FIGHT as a representative organization of Rochester's poor and will send recruiting teams into the ghet to the interview applicants whom FIGHT will provide. FIGHT, in turn, has dropped its demand for hiring and training of a specific number of people over a specific span of time.

Moynihan's phone call to Kodak in June was the prime mover in resuming negotiations, which at the end of twelve days resulted in the pact which satisfied both sides. During those days, Moynihan was immersed in what he calls a "complex process"--a process by which he evidently placed drops of oil, via telephone, on a few strategic points of friction.

What he makes clear, though, is that, "The negotiations took place exclusively between Kodak and FIGHT. I had nothing whatsoever to do with them."

Moynihan is adamant about this point because he admires both FIGHT and Kodak, and he believes they performed an exemplary feat of negotiation. "Both Kodak and FIGHT," he says, "were honorable men concerned with the social problems of the community in every possible way."

"The negotiations were not a casual event. The whole thing had almost been written off as a disaster. Instead, it ended with what may be a formula for a kind of social reconciliation," he concluded.

Moynihan credited chruch organizations with a large part in the settlement.