City Redevelopment Authority Razes Two Schools for Project

The Cambridge Redevelopment Authority, in an effort to clear hazardous areas to make way for urban renewal, is speeding up its demolition of two City schools.

The razing of the old Wellington and Kelly Schools began last month when the Authority started to execute the locally prepared Neighborhood Improvement Plan. Both schools have been vacant since the construction of the new Harrington School, and the City Council began in May to push for rehabilitation of the neighborhood. The two sites, according to the Authority, are intended for residential development as the first part of the $6-million Wellington-Harrington Neighborhood Improvement program.

The Authority purchased both schools from the City after the School Committee released the Kelly School building from further use. "I am pleased that the demolition of these schools has started, since both schools were abandoned and potential hazards to the neighborhood," Mayor Daniel J. Hayes Jr. commented.

The Authority claimed Wednesday that it is taking "stringent measures with respect to rat control, and the protection of persons and properties in the vicinity of the two demolition sites."

City Manager Joseph A. DeGuglielmo '29 exchanged praise with the Authority and the Wellington-Harrington Citizens Committee. "They brought the Urban Renewal Plan to the point where it is now being carried into reality," he said.

The Authority explained that the demolition was proceeding ahead of schedule because a Federal loan-and-grant contract has already been approved (September 2, 1966) but not funded for a specific amount.

The urban redevelopment project will include 130 acres.