Champi, Szaro Star; J.V. Crushes Huskies

The Frank Champi-Richie Szaro passing duo looked almost as good as the Lalich-Varney combination, as the junior varsity rolled to a 30-6 victory over Northeastern here yesterday.

The junior javelin-champion-turned-quarcerback tossed perfect spiralling strikes, and the sophomore sensation, who broke the freshman scoring record for last year, caught six of them, two for touchdowns. Champi ran one across himself before relinquishing the quarterbacking duties to Dave Smith in the second half of the game.

The first score came on a Champi to Szaro pass late in the first quarter. The second came minutes later on a Champi bootleg around right end.

Aerial Acrobatics

But it was the third touchdown of the day that really showed off the Crimson aerial acrobatics. On fourth down and 4 on Northeastern's 40 yardline, Champi took the ball from center, rolled left and winged a strike 40 yards in the air to Szaro who had turned on his speed to beat the Huskie defenders. Champi has an incredibly strong arm, and his passs, even the long ones, were low, quick, and accurate.

The second half scoring came on a fouryard plunge by fullback Rich Kelleher and on a safety by sophomore linebacker Tom Franklin.

Except for the performances by Champi and junior flanker Jimmy Reynolds, the game belonged to the sophomores. Linebacker Gary Farneti, who saw limited action with the varsity against Holy Cross, was omnipresent, making shambles out of the Huskie offense. Tough-running Tom Miller took up his role of the workhorse, which he played last year for the freshmen. He is an especially tough inside runner and could provide Harvard with its first really good fullback in years.

The only Northeastern score came on an intercepted screen pass by Smith early in the fourth quarter. The conversion attempt was blocked.