Freshman Gridders, Booters, Harriers Win

Seals Sets Pace In 27-28 Victory

Bobby Seals led an injury-riddled freshman cross-country team to a 27-28 victory Saturday over Brown in Providence. Top Crimson runners Mike Koerner and Dick Jergens were out with injuries, but Seals filled the gap by setting a new course record.

Seals' time of 17:15.0 shaved 11.2 seconds off the record set two years ago by Harvard's Keith Colburn on the 3.15-mile course.

The rest of the team was able to keep pace with the leader to give Harvard the edge. Phil Lichtenstein and Meltzoff both ran their best races to date.

Tomorrow the team runs against Andover. Coach Bill McCurdy called Andover just a workout for the really tough bout at Cornell on Saturday. Koerner and Jergens may still be out, and Cornell has one of its finest teams in many years.

Injuries

Koerner and Jergens were rated the number one and two men on the team after the first three races, but Koerner is suffering from tendonitis and Jergens has achilles tendon problems in both legs. They won't run tomorrow, but there some chance they will come back for the Cornell race on Saturday.

The climax of the frosh season will be the Big Three meet against Yale and Princeton in November. A good showing at Cornell will mean the team is ready to take on undefeated Princeton.

Harvard's only loss has been to Pennsylvania, one of the finest teams in the East. McCurdy says he is expecting the Yale-Princeton race to be at least as difficult.

This year's freshman team has star runners, like Seals, and at Brown the rest of the team showed it can keep up.