RUS Lengthens Parietals To 72-Hour Weekly Limit

The Radcliffe Union of Students voted unanimously yesterday to double Radcliffe parietal hours from 36 to 72 hours per week.

The new system will go into effect as soon as the individual Radcliffe dormitories meet to decide how to distribute the increased hours.

RUS asked for 72 hours a week on the grounds that Harvard had that amount. However, Harvard parietals, which run 2 p.m. midnight Monday through Friday, 11 a.m. 1 a.m. Saturday, and 11 a.m. midnight Sunday, total 77 hours a week.

Each dorm may distribute the 72 hours as its members choose, but RUS--at the suggestion of Mary I. Bunting, President of Radcliffe--directed that parietals may not extend past midnight Sunday through Thursday, or past 1 a.m. Friday and Saturday. The dorms also have the option of setting fewer than 72 hours.

The parietals vote will have a greater significance than the immediate issue, according to Ann Bastlan '70, RUS executive officer. "It is important for people to realize that RUS can legislate autonomously," she said.

RUS legislation is immediately effective, without any review or approval by the Administration. However, if the College Council or Administration voices any objection, the matter is placed before the Review Board, composed of nine members, five of whom are students. The Review Board can strike down RUS legislation, and the College Council still reserves ultimate veto power.

"I don't think we'll face any opposition from the Council as long as we stay within Harvard's limits," stated Mary Goethals '69, RUS vice president, who presided at yesterday's meeting.

Miss Bastian said the only possible objection could be that the extension of parietal hours would not work out in terms of practical matters, such as extra security guards.

"But we are convinced it will work, and by the time a Review Board meeting can be called, we will have proved it," she said.