Freshman Booters Defeat Connecticut: Thomas, Kydes Lead Scoring in 7-1 Win

Harvard's aggressive freshman soccer team trounced the University of Connecticut, 7-1, Saturday on a wet Crimson field, adding a seventh win to its undefeated record.

Harvard dominated play throughout the game, making 19 shots in the first half and 23 in the second, to Connecticut's three and five.

The freshmen piled up a strong lead in the first quarter. Center forward Charlie Thomas netted the first Harvard goal three minutes into the game with an assist from right wing James Carrow. Inside Phil Kydes drove in the second three minutes later, assisted by Greg Hornig. And Thomas scored again to bring the tally to 3-0 for the Crimson.

The teams traded goals in the second quarter. Left wing Eric Pope scored for Harvard on a pass from halfback Chris Wilmot, and Connecticut connected on a successful penalty shot.

The freshmen scored two goals in quick succession at the start of the second half. Wilmot intercepted a Conecticut drive and passed straight down the middle of the field to Kydes, in front of the Connecticut goal. Kydes drove the ball in easily. Wilmot scored unassisted, moments later.

Diving Block

Goalie Larry Anderson provided most of the excitement in the third quarter, when he made a diving body block of what looked like a certain goal.

Inside left Steve Ronan made Harvard's final goal on an assist from Paul Zeunik.

Ronan has been recovering from a knee operation, and this was his second appearance of the season.

Coach Dana Getchell's pre-game worries about injuries on the front line proved to be unfounded. Carrow was a strong replacement for right wing Russ Bell, who was out with a pulled groin muscle. Hornig, who had been out for several games with an ankle injury, also played well.

Goalie George Gibson recovered from a hip injury to share the work evenly with Anderson.

The only injury of Saturday's game occurred when Pope was elbowed in the cheek in the third quarter and taken out of the game.