J.V. Skaters Lose 5-1 to Eagles As Haley Nets Sole Crimson Goal

A powerful Boston College freshman team broke open a scoreless game with three goals in the second period to down Harvard's J.V. team 5-1 in Chestnut Hill yesterday.

Crimson coach James Hutchinson felt that his team had played to the best of its ability, but that B.C. had an unusually strong squad. It was the J.V.'s first loss to the Eagle freshmen in four years.

Big Shoes

"My team last season was exceptionally good, and this year's group has a number of big shoes to fill, and at this point is not quite as good as the team last year," Hutchinson said after the game.

The contest was fairly even in the first period, but then the B.C. players seemed to gain confidence and played better, Hutchinson said. After their three second-period goals, the freshmen added another in the final session, before Harvard's Pete Haley netted his team's only goal on an assist from Steve Barker at the 9:26 mark. B.C. later scored its final goal.

In the Nets

Despite the apparent onesidedness of play, Harvard took 29 shots on goal compared to 25 for the Eagles. Hutchinson praised his goalie Paul Oldfield for his performance in the nets, and he also complimented defenseman Dick Byrd '71 for a "fine game." Tom Smolens, who was not expected to be a terribly formidable goalie in the B.C. nets, turned in an excellent game.

"Our main problem right now," said Hutchinson, "is finishing off our plays. We can't seem to get the puck in the net."

The loss was a disappointment coming after the J.V.'s convincing 11-5 victory over the Colby freshmen on Tuesday. The Crimson's next game will be away against Northeastern Tuesday at 6:30.