Ellsworth Shuts Out Chicago, 2-0; Havlicek Leads Celts Over 76ers

Red Sox

Carl Yastrzemski's fourth home-run of the young season and Dick Ellsworth's five-hit pitching gave the Boston Red Sox a 2-0 victory over the White Sox yesterday.

Yastrzemski's first-inning blast was all Ellsworth needed as the former Philadelphia hurler struck out five and walked one, boosting his record to 2-0 for the year.

The win evened Boston's record at 3-3, three games behind the league-leading Twins, who have yet to lose.

Today Coach Dick Williams sends Jose Santiago to the mound in hopes of sweeping the two-game series.

Celtics

Despite a 40-point effort by Hal Greer, the Boston Celtics last night defeated the Philadelphia 76ers, 114-106. The victory ties the series at three games a piece.

John Havlicek and Bailey Howell were the key men for the Celtics, scoring 50 points between them. Howell filled in spectacularly for the injured Satch Sanders, blocking six shots in the second half, including one by Chet Walker that would have brought the '76ers within five points with two minutes left to play.

The final game in the series will be played tomorrow night in Philadelphia. The winner will go on to meet the Los Angeles Lakers for the NBA championship.