Nine Faces Yale Today In Vital League Game

By Mark R. Rasmuson

Harvard's baseball team blanked Northeastern, 2-0, yesterday on Soldiers Field, as fastballer Ray Peters rested up for today's season finale against Yale--the game that could clinch the Eastern Intercollegiate Baseball League title for Harvard.

Yesterday's victory gave the Crimson a mediocre 3-3 finish in the Greater Boston League. But if the nine defeats Yale in New Haven today, Harvard will be assured of at least a tie for the EIBL crown. Only Army, with a 5-1 record and three games to play, would then stand between the League-leading Crimson (7-1) and sole possession of the title.

Army Must Lose One

Should Harvard win today and Army lose one of its remaining contests, retiring Coach Norm Shepard will have piloted his third title-winning team in his 14 years at Harvard. His teams won the League crown in 1958 and 1964. Harvard has won the title only four times in 100 seasons.

Peters, the junior righthander who is scheduled to start today, is the EIBL's top pitcher, with a 6-0 record. A year ago, he beat Yale 2-1, striking out 16 batters. This year he has compiled 80 strikeouts and a 2.43 earned run average.

Turco Goes 3 for 3

In yesterday's game, Harvard batters banged out 13 hits, led by sophomore Jack Turco, who went three for three. Bob Lincoln (2-1)--going the distance for the Crimson--held Northeastern to four hits.

Harvard scored the first of its two runs in the third inning when shortstop Jeff Grate--who led team hitting going into the game with a .382 average--led off with a triple. First baseman John Ignacio drove Grate in moments later.

Lord Triples

The Crimson added its insurance run in the seventh when Ignacio drew a walk and was tripled in by Captain Carter Lord.

Northeastern threatened in the fifth. The Huskies' leadoff batter cracked out a single and advanced when Lincoln gave up a walk. But when the next Northeastern batter singled, the man on second stumbled rounding third and was forced to hold. A Harvard double play then ended the inning.

B. C. Boston Champ

Harvard's victory knocked Northeastern out of contention for the Greater Boston title. Boston College, with a 7-2 record, is now assured of the title.