Skaters' Late Surge Downs Dartmouth, 6-3

Cavanagh Scores Winning Goal On Solo Rush in Third Period

By Mark H. Odonoghue

Expecting its second rout in a row, a lethargic Harvard hockey team fell three goals behind a surprising Dartmouth team before surging back with a four goal final period in last night's 6-3 victory at Watson Rink.

Sophomore center Joe Cavanagh, shut out by the Indians for two periods, broke a 3-3 deadlock at 12:04 in the third period with a spectacular unassisted goal on a length of the ice rush.

Playing defense during a Crimson power play, Cavanagh circled behind his net with the puck and skated straight up the ice through four Dartmouth defenders. After splitting the defense, he closed in on goalie Tom Schuster, faked one way, losing his balance, and flipped the puck over Schuster's leg.

The goal snuffed out the threat of an upset and the Crimson broke through for two more scores in the last period to clinch the game.

No Forewarning

Dartmouth came into the contest with a miserable 2-5-2 record and an 11-2 drubbing by Harvard, so there was little to indicate that the game would be any different from Tuesday's 12-0 romp over Penn.

After the opening minutes when it set a torrid pace but could not score, the Crimson lapsed into a reckless, careless style of play, looking for the easy score.

Dartmouth thwarted the Crimson rushes and then shocked Harvard by jumping out to a 1-0 lead on a goal off senior Bill Diercks, playing in place of Bruce Durno. The Big Green went into the dressing room with its 1-0 lead and came out to stun the Crimson with two more scores at 2:08 and 3:02.

Harvard stormed back with goals by sophomore wing Steve Owen--upping his total to a team-leading 16--and center Jack Turco. Dwight Ware finally tied the game at 3-3 in the first minute of the last period.

After Cavanagh's game-winning goal, the Crimson dominated the remainder of the game.

Dan DeMichele widened the Crimson's margin with a goal at 15:10 on a three man rush on the goalie. Cavanagh won the face-off, passed it to Owens, and then DeMichele took Owen's pass the length of the ice before scoring. Jim Horning closed out the scoring at 18:12 on a point-blank wrist shot.

The Crimson's cluster of goals in the last period followed the pattern it has set all season, gaining momentum as the game progresses and out-scoring its opponents by better than a two-to-one margin.

Harvard retained possession of second place behind Cornell in the Ivy League standings with its hard-won victory. The Crimson's record is now 9-4-1 overall and and 5-1 in Ivy play.

The freshmen duplicated the varsity's four goal third period in their 8-3 win over Dartmouth's freshmen earlier yesterday. The Yardlings scored two goals in the first minute of the last period--Bill Holmes to Lief Rosenberger and then Rosenberger to Holmes--to break open the contest. Center Bob Havern had a hat trick in the victory--Harvard's tenth against one loss.