Francis Sargent Promises Review Of the Inner Belt

Cambridge residents who marched on the State House last Saturday in protest of the proposed Inner Belt were "very enthusiastic" at Governor Sargent's response to their demands.

Justin Grey, Assistant to the City Manager for Community Development and one of the marchers' spokesmen said, "We have been promised that no action will be taken on the Inner Belt without the Governor first consulting us."

A group, numbering approximately 2000, asked Governor Sargent to halt highway construction, withdraw all highway plans now in Washington, and, with citizens participating, begin a review of the transportation plans in Greater Boston.

The Cambridge homeowners had organized the march fearing that Secretary Volpe would use his new position to push through the Inner Belt, which as Governor he had personally favored.

After meeting with the new governor, however, spokesmen felt reassured that the Inner Belt had at least been temporarily halted. One of the spokesmen said, of the governor, "his response represents a real turning point in the process and content of transportation planning within the metropolitan area."

Carrying signs and accompanied by drum and bugle corp bands, the marchers started out from East Cambridge at 9 a.m. Saturday. As they wound through the streets the parade picked up additional marchers. The march was organized by the Greater Boston Committee on the Transportation Crises and by the Cambridge City Council.