Freshmen Six Romps, 8-0; Thinclads Triumph, 76-28

The freshman track and hockey teams scored easy victories yesterday as the trackmen routed Andover Academy, 76-28, and the skaters shut out Merrimack, 8-0.

The Yardling skaters romped to their sixteenth victory of the year against two defeats, by overpowering the hapless Merrimack team at Watson Rink.

After a slow star the Crimson finally put its passing together and tallied three times before the end of the first period. Nick Sullivan lit the light at 10:51 when he took a neat pass from Rick Storer on the right side and slapped it into the nets.

Sullivan and Storer teamed up again six minutes later--this time assisting Red Jahncke, whose score gave the Yardlings a two-point edge. Defenseman Don Olson slapped the final tally of the period by Merrimack goalie Fred Guanci, with Sullivan again assisting.

Merrimack slowed the freshman attack in the second period, but Andy Burns, assisted by Bob Havern and Cal Warren, managed to score on a power play.

The Crimson offense again took charge in the final period. Howie McAlpine whistled a slap shot past Guanci, and one one minute later Dave Cavanagh scored with an assist by Dennis Sullivan. Harvard tallied its seventh goal on a power play led by Burnes at 16:56, and with one minute to play Bill Holmes faked out Guanci on the left side of the net and slapped in the freshmen's eighth point.

Track Sweep

The track team swept three events at the "Bubble" against Andover and took first in all but two. They placed three men each in the dash, hurdles, and shot put.

Bob Seals, who set the freshman mile record last Saturday against Brown, came up with another record-breaking performance in the two-mile yesterday. Seal's time of 9:19 broke the old record by four seconds.

Weight man Jake Driscoll won both the 28-1b weight and shot put. He has taken first in both events in every meet this season.

The other Yardling first-place finishers were Ed Diamond in the dash, Chuck McNagny in the 1000, Steve Thomas in the pole vault and hurdles, Mike Koerner in the mile, and Dave Cass in the high jump.