Kelley and Dorwart Add Depth to Harvard Nine

If the Crimson baseball team, which reached the NCAA Finals at Omaha last year, is to repeat its success, experience and aggressiveness loom large in deciding their chances. Heading the list of experienced ballplayers is senior pitching ace Bob Dorwart, and leading an impressive array of young aggressive players is sophomore shortstop Bill Kelly.

Dorwart's experience should prove valuable. During the NCAA tournament last year, he pitched exceptional ball, shutting out the University of Connecticut, 3-0, and holding a great-hitting Southern Illinois team to one run in a 2-1 Crimson defeat. "Everything just went right for me that day against SIU," Bob said.

Exceptional Education

An All-State baseball player while in high school, Bob led his team to a second-place finish in the state tournament and also played on four state amateur championship teams. Bypassing football and baseball scholarship offers, and a few pro contract chances, Bob decided in favor of scholarship if he decided to stop playing baseball, and, where he could receive an exceptional education.

Bob feels confident about this season. "We're going to be a very good ball club when we reach our potential. Our record over the season is going to depend upon how rapidly we achieve that potential." Bob attributes some of his optimism to the work Coach Loyal Park has done to make the starting nine function together as a team.

I Can Only Do My Best

When All-American Ray Peters left the pitching staff to pursue a professional career, the pressure on Dorwart increased. According to Bob, "Ray was such a great pitcher that he didn't have to worry about having a bad day. I'm confident I can win games, but I do expect to have some bad days. I can only do my best."

Transition

Kelly, star center-fielder for last year's undefeated freshman team, made the switch to shortstop this year with amazing ease. Coach Loyal Park remarked at Kelly's play, "Bill has done an outstanding job in making the transition, better than anyone every expected."

When asked how he felt about the change, Bill said, "I really enjoy playing short now. I was apprehensive about the position at first, but Coach Park has helped me to learn the fundamentals."

Kelly was a three-sport star in high school at Reading, Mass., and was a high draft choice of the St. Louis Cardinals. He played defensive back for the Crimson football team last fall, but will recovery of an onside kick during the last minute of The Game.

Or A Fireman

As to his future in baseball, Kelly commented, "I always wanted to be a baseball player, but I now see the situation more realistically. I am not sure I would enjoy some of the other aspects of playing like the time spent away from home."

Although the season is only three weeks old, the team has already shown signs of sucess. In crucial wins over Boston University and Boston College, the Crimson, led by Bob Dorwart and Bill Kelly, have displayed the experience and aggressiveness which will give them the opportunity to improve on last year's showing in Omaha.