Princeton Leads E I B L Standings

The Princeton Tigers baseball squad, which won only two of its nine games last season, already has equalled that performance by winning twice last week in the opening games of the Eastern Intercollegiate Baseball League. The EIBL consists of the seven Ivy League members as well as Army and Navy.

Preseason favorites fell by the wayside as Harvard, defending champion, lost its season opener to Penn 6-3, and Army, with eight of its starters returning, dropped one run decisions to Columbia 3-2, and Yale 1-0. The Crimson and the Cadets square off his Saturday at West Point in a crucial game for both squads.

Although they finished in the cellar of the EIBL last year, the Tigers started the season with an easy 6-2 victory over Brown. Last Saturday at Anappolis, Bo Hunter held the Middies of Navy to three hits in a 3-2 win.

Meanwhile

Since several games were rained out, three other teams are also undefeated, but remain a half game behind Princeton's pace. Cornell established itself as a top contender for the title when it walloped Navy 10-0. Joining the Big Red in the tie for second are Columbia, victorious over the Cadets, and Dartmouth, with a 6-4 triumph at Brown.

Army has been the real disappointment of the league so far. Last year's all-star right-hander Roger Vandenberg has allowed eight tallies in only twelve innings for an 8.64 earned run average. In its two losses, the Cadets' hitters have gotten only nine singles.