Football Team Tops Brown

Brad Fenton walked into Dillon Field House after Saturday's 17-10 win over Brown was greeted by an exuberant John Yoviesin, "Nice going! We're 6-2!"

Barely. Fifteen minutes earlier, Brown had been on Harvard's 23-yard line driving towards the tying touchdown-and maybe the two extra points needed for victory-with a minute left. But then a fumble by the Bruins' Walt Hagstrom was recovered by Jack Neal, and Harvard ran out the clock.

The fumble was one of 18 during the game, 11 of them lost. It was an impressive statistic, until someone discovered that only last year Witchita State and Florida State had combined for 27 fumbles, 18 of them lost, "Weenteratained some people," Yovicsin admitted.

Twice in the last quarter the Crimson had been nearly in the end zone with an insurance touchdown only to drop the ball and have it recovered by Brown. With three minutes left, quarterback Eric Crone, who had 270 yards in total offense Saturday, broke several tackles on his way to a 28-yard scoring run until he was hit at the one-yard line and fumbled into the end zone. The Bruins' final drive followed immediately.

It would have been Crone's third touchdown of the day. In the middle of the second quarter, after Harvard had tried twice on fourth down in Brown territory to make a first and failed, Crone directed a scoring march of 39 yards. He completed it with a one-yard plunge.

The score had been tied, 3-3, after field goals by the Crimson's Richie Szaro and Brown's Tyler Chase. Chase was brought in to kick only because Harvard's defense had stiffened at the ten. Brown had a first down there, but three rushes into the line gained a total of only five yards.

What proved to be the Crimson's final touchdown came early in the fourth quarter on a six-play drive with two carries each by Crone. Ted DeMars, and Steve Hall. The touchdown came on a 23-yard scamper by Crone.

As a passer, Crone was deadly accurate. Even the two interceptions he threw went right into the arms of Brown defensive backs. He completed 14 of 18 passes for 196 yards, a phenomenal performance, especially for a Harvard quarterback.

Crone, starting in place of the injured Rod Foster, earned praise from Yoviesin, who was pleased with much of what Crone did. But when asked if Foster would start against Yale if he recovers, Yovicsin replied, "He's our quarter back."

Foster is suffering from a charley horse which has now hemorrhaged. He will try to run Tuesday for the first time since the Princeton game last weekend.

Harvard clearly outplayed Brown and though the score was close throughout, rarely seemed to be in much danger of losing. The offensive line gave Crone, who scrambled well when he had to good protection on pass plays, and opened up holes well enough for Crimson backs to gain 226 yards.

Though the defense usually came up with the big plays. it allowed the Bruins' running attack to roll up almost 300 yards. Gary Bonner and Tom Spotts consistently ground out yardage, and early in the final period, Bonner took a pitch out around left end and ran 38 yards into the end zone.

One high factor Saturday was the punting of Szaro, who replaced Foster. He averaged 43.5 yards, and with eight minutes left in the game. Szaro punted 58 yards with the hall rolling dead on the Brown three. It was a crucial play.