A Preview of the '72 Crimson Soccer Team

By R. N. G.

Solomon Gomez, Charlie Thomas, and Chris Wilmot were unanimous selections yesterday to the All-Ivy first soccer team. Only Columbia halfback Len Renery also received all seven first-place votes from the League's coaches.

Coach Bruce Munro nominated seven players for the All-Ivy team and each one received recognition from the opposing coaches. Forward Phil Kydes was selected to the All-Ivy first-team line along with Gomez and Thomas, and Pete Bogovich finished on the All-Ivy second-team line-up.

Goalies Bill Meyers and Shep Messing were both nominated for the All-Ivy team. Unfortunately, they split 19 points in the balloting and received honorable mention behind Brown goalie John Sanzo and Penn's Alex Spector (16 points).

Joining Harvard's four players on the first team were Penn forwards Stan Startzell and Tom Lieberman, Brown fullbacks Chip Young and Karl Ohaus, Cornell's Herard LaForest, and Renery and Sanzo.

Gomez's finish on the first team marked his second year as All-Ivy. Last fall the Harvard captain won the Ivy scoring title with 8 points. This year he finished second (9 points) to Charlie Thomas (10 points), but led the League in assists with five. Thomas won the Ivy scoring title with eight goals in seven games.

Meyers, who was first-team All-Ivy last year, led the League this fall with a 0.43 goals-per-game average. Meyers allowed the fewest goals (3) and had the most shutouts (3).

Harvard led the League in several statistical categories. The Crimson scored the most goals (18) and allowed the fewest opposition tallies (3).

Final Standings

W L T Pts

Harvard 7 0 0 14

Penn 4 1 2 10

Brown 3 2 1 7

Cornell 3 3 1 7

Columbia 3 3 0 6

Yale 2 5 0 4

Dartmouth 2 5 0 4

Princeton 1 6 0 2