Brewster Sees End of Demagoguery

Kingman Brewster Jr., president of Yale, assured the Ford Hall Forum last night in Boston that "students are no longer exploited and herded by the demagogues of last Spring."

"That students seem to have learned how precious and fragile the University position is welcome to someone of my position," he said.

Brewster's topic was "The Deeper Unrest" and he admitted to a "calculated ambiguity in choosing the title." But he began by insisting that he was "against violence" and "for tranquillity."

Brewster criticized the Nixon administration and Vice President Agnew especially for having castigated the report of the President's Commission on Campus Unrest before having even read it.

He spent a large part of the speech criticizing the mass media-and especially commercial television-for oversimplification of the nation's problems and the encouragement of sloganeering. "Spot news is not enough for those of a generation which in the year 2000 will only be in what I consider to be early middle age," he warned.

The universities, he said, can act as a balance to this problem. "Ours is the art of over complication."