Mat Record Disappoints Crimson Coach As Program Builds Towards'72 Season

By Robert Decherd

"We'll be hand pressed to repeat last year's performance." Harvard wrestling coach John Lee projected on the eve of his team's season opener against Wesleyan last December.

But even he did not envision that a 5-10-1 record would follow the 7-4 output of his first Crimson squad in 1968-69.

An eight-place finish in the Easterns last weekend. spearheaded by Mark Faller's runner-up performance at 167. brightened an otherwise dismal campaign. Lee admitted Monday night that things could have been much better.

"This year was a real disappointment both for me and for the team." he said. "But we just didn't have the talent to overcome our deficiency in the lower weights."

That deficiency developed over a long period during which recruitment failed to attract enough wrestlers at 118 and 126 and it was heightened on the Tuesday before the Wesleyan meet when senior Bruce Goodman quit the team.

Goodman a letterman at 126-and the Crimson's only experienced 126-pounder-could have been counted on for as many as ten victories, Instead. Steve Monsulik a sophomore with no wrestling experience, was pressed into service.

Most Improved

Monsulik managed only one victory in 15 starts, but paradoxically, was presented the Most Improved Wrestler award at Monday night's team banquet.

At 118, senior Tom Schnorr did not perform up to expectations. compiling a 5-11 mark, Goodman's presence at 126 however could have easily made up for this disappointment.

When captain Paul Catinelia was unable to make weight at 13? until the Rutgers meet in February the problem became even more acute Until sophomore Rick Hattle appeared on the seem in late January, the Crimson forfeited 134 except on the two occasions when manager Eric Behrens stepped in to salvage points.

Philosophically

The turn of events could not help but discourage a second-year coach. although through many years of wrestling experience, Lee came to accept the setbacks philosophically. There was always a tinge of optimism.

At one point when Harvard had won only one of its last seven matches. Lee mentioned that "none of these teams are unbeatable." The next day powerful Springfield handed the Crimson a 27? thumping.

Lee first became associated with Harvard wrestling as an undergraduate when he went undefeated in dual matches over a three-year period and captained the Crimson during his junior and senior years.

He was the national AAU champion a? 125 as a sophomore in 1951 and went on to place in both the AAT and NCAA national championships in 1952 and 1953.

Dick Farrington, a teammate throughout Lee's Harvard career, described him earlier this year as "always carrying his books in one hand and his wrestling gear in the other."

Lee graduated in 1953 and returned to coach the freshmen in 1956 after receiving an M.B.A. from Michigan. His Yardling teams compiled an 84-22-3 record over the next 13 seasons.

Lee took over from Bob Pickett last year and was encouraged by what he saw.

Tough Schedule

"I thought we were really on the way last year." Lee recalled this week, "And for that reason we arranged the toughest schedule we've had here at Harvard. in terms of the teams we met and the number of teams."

An unexpected and tragic blow came with the news of the death of junior John Imrie in an aquatic accident last August.

At the wrestling banquet Monday night. Lee remembered Imrie as "the guts of the team. . . the kind of guy that inspires everyone else with his effort."

Some team members feel that Imrie. who would have wrestled at 177. was the Crimson's most talented performer as well.

Masfortune continued to stalk the mat men when heavyweight Tom Tripp, a junior. decided not to wrestle this season. and instead devote more time to his studies and other activities.

"We could have had some serious morale problems." Lee said. "But you have to hand it to the kids for the way they pulled together."

The Crimson opened the year with wins ??? and Brown. but it was not until January 31 that they were able to add a third victory.

While wrestling is a team sport. there is an inordinate amount of stress placed on individuals. Conditioning, so important to a team success. is directly in line with the amount of time spent in the practice room by each wrestler.

Early this year despite excellent condition. Harvard could not overcome with wins in the mid-and heavyweights what ??? in the lightweights. It is a ??? the team-and to Lee and assistant coach Bob Feher-that the mat men could maintain their spirit.

"With very few exceptions. the kids pushed ? pretty hard. "Lee said. "It was a long season in more ways than one, but most of them came in every Sunday to practice. This is why it's so hard to stomach a loss to a team like Penn that is not in shape."

While one or two different positions may be stressed next season, the wrestling strategy will remain basically the same. "I think the program we developed this year is better than any before it," Lee said. "And of course, it was that much said. "And of course, it was that much better, because we had two coaches instead of one."

During his first season, Lee handled the entire wrestling program by himself, but the addition of Fehrs, an assistant coach at Pittsburgh for two years and a three-time NCAA runner-up at Michigan, has distributed responsibilities more evenly.

Fehrs guided the Yardling wrestlers to a 10-3 season, its best in several years, and Lee conjectured Monday night that he is "the best assistant coach in America today."

"I can't believe that we can't turn this thing around next year," Lee said last week in reference to the 5-10-1 dual record. "I see daylight ahead, and if the recruiting goes well, we're going to have a rough team in a couple of years."

The 1972 season is the date set by Lee and Fehrs for the present rebuilding program to bloom. The schedule that year includes both Navy and Lehigh, and Lee had better have a rough team if he expects to survive the season.

The key to success in the next three years rests with several wrestlers who will become eligible for varsity competition next winter.

Freshman Richie Starr. Harvard's first Eastern champion in 12 years, will surely step in at 177 as a sophomore next year. Four other outstanding freshmen-Dave Lowe (134? John Peters (150). Bill Stuart (158). and Dick Duhong (167)-: should also move up. The most important additions, however, may be two transfer students, sophomores Josh Henson from Michigan and Jerry Kahrilas from Brown-who will bolster the Harvard mid-range at 134 and 142. Both sat out this year, but practiced with the team and competed in AAU tourneys,

Lack of Personnel

At the same time, Lee and Fehrs are leaning strongly toward the lightweights in their recruiting program.

"The problem for next year is that this year's freshmen, as good as they were, did not have guys at the weights we need them, notably 118, 126, and heavyweight," Lee said. The Yardlings forfeited most if not all of their bouts at these three weights due to a lack of personnel.

It is possible that Tripp will not return at unlimited next year, and if he does not there are no freshmen or returning lettermen to till the void.

Drawing Heavily

Next year's varsity will of course draw heavily on returning lettermen, since only three starters are graduating. Faller-18-1-1 as he goes into the NCAA championships next weekend-will be back at 167, as will newly-elected captain Pat Coleman at 142.

Dean Sheppard, who came on toward the end of the season at 150, should be fully recovered from torn rib cartilages sustained in the Yale meet, and Dave Seanion (190) will be eligible again after being placed on academic probation in February.

Nevertheless the "rough team" that Lee hopes for is probably another year away.

"That's what we're pushing for," he said of '72. "With Navy and Lehigh on the schedule, we'll have to have the horses to get by."

And the distant future, there is always the 1987 season when Lee's two-year-old son David will become eligible for varsity competition. David, however, is not yet sure that he will apply to Harvard.