Watson Entered In AAA's

Freshman swimming captain Henry Watson is Harvard's lone representative at the 1970 National AAU indoor short course swimming championships this week in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Watson, a freestyle specialist, Thursday swam the 500-free in 4:49.8, failing to place. John Kinsella, a 17-year-old high school student from Hinsdale, Illinois, set a U. S. record in the event with a 4:27.13.

Watson will compete in his best event, the 1650-free, on Sunday. The event has no finals; the places are determined by the times in the heats. Ranking approximately 30th, Watson is in the second of five heats.

USC's Mike Burton, the 1650 world record-holder is unable to participate in the nationals because of a knee injury, but Kinsella and Gary Hall of Indiana lead one of the toughest fields of the week.

Second Time This Year

Watson took fourth in the 1500 meters at last summer's outdoor national AAU's to qualify for this spring's race. Since then, however, he has only been in that event once-at the Eastern AAU's in March. The longest distance in freshman competition is 500 yards.

Watson earned much attention this past winter. He broke current varsity star Steve Krause's Harvard freshman record in the 500-free with a time of 4:52.3 and lost only one race-to Charles Cambell of Princeton.