Crimson Nine Splits With Lions; Hitters Avenge Close Loss, 11-5

By Robert W. Gerlach

Right hander John Todd yielded four runs to Columbia in the first two innings but then settled down and held the Lions to only three more hits. as Harvard won the second game of a doubleheader at Baker Field. 11.5.

In the opening contest. two bloop singles by Columbia's Doug Watt were the difference in a close pitching battle With two out in the final inning. Watt trickled a grounder through the middle to give the Lion's a 2-1 triumph.

The Crimson demoralized after its close opening loss, came back strong in the second game and blasted Columbia starter Ron Szumilas for eight runs in the first four innings.

Did Not Fold

That Harvard did not fold in the second game became extremely significant as other results in the EIBL were reported. Cornell dropped both of its games to Army-1-2, 6-8-and Dartmouth also lost twice this weekend.

Army and Navy. the only undefeated teams in the league, will both play doubleheaders against Harvard here in Cambridge. Because of the expanded 14 game schedule this season, the Crimson, now 1-2. is still right in the running for the league title.

If either of two breaks in the final inning of the opening Columbia game had gone Harvard's way. the Crimson would have swept the match. Entering the seventh. J. C. Nickens. Tom Dashiell, and Dave Fierke. had held the Lions to four hits, and Harvard trailed 1-0.

Pete Varney opened the inning with a high fly-ball that the wind carried for a double. Vince McGugan singled the tying run home and then attempted to steal second. The umpire ruled McGugan safe on the steal, but then changed the call, claiming McGugan had over slid the base. McGugan protested the call, but the decision stood.

Instead of Harvard having a runner on second with no one out, there was one out and the bases were empty. Bill Kelly and Art Serrano both singled, but the rally ended at that point.

In Columbia's final turn at bat. pitcher Frank Gordon opened with a single and stole second. After an intentional walk hurler Tom Kidwell forced Wesley Pike to hit into a double play.

With Gordon on third. Watt took two strikes and then on a checked swing. trickled the ball past shortstop Serrano to win the game.

The second game was a batting duel. Harvard led. 5-4 after two innings. The Crimson broke the game open in the fourth inning with four runs on three hits and three errors.

Serrano opened the stanza with a single and advanced on a sacrifice by pitcher Todd Centerfielder Neil Hurley sandwiched a single in between two errors by the Lion's second baseman John Sefeik.

With two runs across reliever Mike Goodwin pitched cautiously to Varney and ran the come to 2-0 At this point catcher Chuck Assicurate stood up and called for an intentional walk bus Goodwin missed his target throwing the ball right over the plate. Varney ???

After the second inning, Todd held the Lions to only one his until there was one out in the final inning Todd has gone the distance successfully in both his starting assignments this season.