NET Presents "Hogan's Goat" In New Revival

"Hogan's Goat," a long-running off-Broadway play by William Alfred, professor of English, was revived last night in a National Educational Television production starring Faye Dunaway and George Rose.

The play--which also starred Faye Dunaway in its original production--ran for nearly 18 months at the American Place Theatre in 1965 and 1966.

The drams concerns the fight for political power in Brooklyn at the end of the 19th century. Alfred based many of the characters in the play on his relatives and acquaintances in Brooklyn, where he grew up. He said yesterday the play was "about people prizing their own things and about people trying to face the damage they've done."

The NET production of "Hogan's Goat" omits ten minutes from the original version, but Alfred, who worked on the production, said that he was extremely pleased with the result.

"It's the best production of the play yet," he said. "I never thought that educational television would be so careful. They once took seventeen takes of a ten minute scene," he added. He also praised the director, Glen Jordan '57, and actors Faye Dunaway and George Rose.

"I was very happy that Faye agreed to repeat her role in the NET version of the play," he said. "She is probably the greatest living actress on stage, and it was out of kindness for the play that she participated in the NET production."

Alfred is now completing a new play to be entitled "Curse of an Aching Heart" which he hopes to produce in the American Place Theater in the near future.