Plane Replaces Buses For Travel to Cornell

If the football team throttles Cornell in Ithaca tomorrow, it won't have to spend the whole night on the bus back to Cambridge waiting to celebrate.

This year, in a move designed to reduce athletic department costs, the football, soccer, and cross country teams will be flying to Cornell on a single chartered Mohawk airlines jet.

Since there are too many players for one jet to accomodate, the squads will be divided into two planeloads. Only one jet will transport the teams to Ithaca: the first group will leave at 9:30 a.m. today, the second approximately two hours later after the plane completes the return trip to Boston.

Again

For the return trip tomorrow the same procedure will be followed; the soccer and cross country teams will leave Cornell at 5:30 p.m., the football team at 7:30 p.m.

Although the Ivy League schools have tried to institute a policy of busing teams whenever possible, Harvard athletic business manager Francis J. Toland said yesterday that he thinks flying tomorrow is more practical and more economical.

Cheaper

Chartering the whole plane and using it to make two trips each way, instead of sending the squads on a regularly scheduled flight at group rates, substantially reduces costs, he said.

He added that flying eliminates the cost of one night's lodging in Ithaca; the long bus ride in the past necessitating a Thursday night arrival.

Food

Except for a training meal on Saturday, the squads will eat all their meals at Cornell instead of at their hotel, as in the past.

Plans for the Pennsylvania game in Philadelphia call for the similar use of a chartered jet, but only buses will transport all athletic squads to Brown and Yale.