Crimson Hockey Team Defeats Army, 5-2; Hynes Scores Hat Trick in Sluggish Game

Harvard hockey coach Billy Cleary shrugged off the Crimson's unimpressive 5-2 win over Army last Saturday night by pointing out the four-hour bus ride, Army's infamously large rink, and the unimportance of a game sandwiched between the B.U. and B.C. contests.

Cleary was a little less philosophical towards his players, however. He called a very unusual mandatory practice last night, and added, "Don't bother to bring your sticks."

Without straining themselves, Harvard's skaters outshot the hapless Cadets, 48-16, and built up a 4-0 lead before slacking off in the third period.

Unaffected by a special Army checking line, the Local Line of juniors Dave Hynes, Bob McManama and Billy Corkery provided a few bright moments in the evening by pouring in four goals.

Utilizing good positioning and his quick stick, Hynes opened up the scoring with his first of three goals, drilling a ten-footer past the Army netminder ten minutes into the first period.

Harvard failed to score again in the first period, but Hynes picked up another goal at 3:43 of the second period, finishing off a power play with assists from sophomore forward Bob Goodenow and junior defenseman Bob Muse.

The Crimson upped the score to 4-0 by the end of the period. Bob McManama stickhandled through Army for an unassisted goal at 14:28, and with 18 seconds left in the period, Bob Havern rammed in the rebound of a Leif Rosenberger slapshot.

Sloppy Play

Harvard's play became increasingly sloppy in the third period, as Army outscored the Crimson, 2-1. Army's first tally came just 31 seconds after the opening face-off, with Ed Roubin squeezing one through some congestion around the Harvard net.

Hynes completed his hat trick three minutes later with assists from McManama and Larry Desmond, last year's J.V. MVP who replaced injured Billy Corkery after the first period. Army finished off the scoring at 10:10, capitalizing on a double penalty to Harvard.