Wrestlers' Late Rally Ties Penn; Scanlon and Mareno Lead Crimson

By Robert W. Gerlach

Down 18-3 after seven bouts, Harvard's wrestlers, led by Dave Scanlon and Angelo Mareno, rallied to tie Penn, 18-18, in an important Ivy League match Saturday.

In two other matches at the Franklin & Marshall quadrangular, Harvard best William & Mary, 17-14, and lost to the host team, 29-18. The four teams were extremely evenly matched, as F & M lost to Penn and only topped W & M by a point.

"The tie with Penn was a blessing," coach John Lee said. "At one point I was picturing a 28-3 loss. Penn is probably the strongest team in the Ivy League right now....I think the Quakers on paper are our toughest match, so we may have actually gained more from the tie."

The Crimson's strength, its light-weights, disappointed Lee against Penn. Harvard dropped the first three weight classes, bouts it expected to win. Only Josh Henson (142) won for Harvard.

Disappointed with the turn of events but not out of the match, the Crimson watched in horror as both Colin Mangrum (158) and Tony DuBon (167) lost one-point decisions with last-minute reverses.

Behind 18-3, Ritchie Starr started the rally with a 2-1 decision at 177. Then, Scanlon pinned Bill Bilder in 3:26, and Mareno pinned letterman Bill Zweig in the heavyweight match to clinch a tie.

Unfortunately, Harvard lost captain Colin Mangrum in the opening match. Mangrum injured his knee and, although the extent of the injury is unknown, was not able to walk on it yesterday. "I have no idea what we'll do to replace him," Lee admitted.

Harvard won the first three weight classes against W & M, but only Frank Morgan (167) managed a decision in the next five bouts. Tied at 12-12, Scanion won at 190 against a wrestler who was stalling for a draw. Mareno then secured the victory with a draw against a strong W & M heavyweight.

Against F & M, only Dan Blakinger (118) took a Crimson decision in the first five matches. Then the roof caved in as F & M took two pins at 158 and 167, eventually winning, 29-18.