Crimson Five to Face Potent Foes

While everyone else is enjoying the freedom of Christmas break, Harvard's basketball team plunges into its schedule in earnest. Riding the crest of three wins in a row, the Crimson face Massachusetts Saturday night at the IAB in the first of five holiday contests.

From there the team hits the road to play Duquesne and North Carolina. The Crimson winds up the holiday action December 29-30 with the Maryland Invitational Tournament, meeting St. Johns in the first round and either Maryland or Western Kentucky in the second.

Maryland coach Lefty Driesell describes the tournament as "one of the strongest in the country."

The holiday schedule features five games in 12 days, and will decide whether the Crimson has any legitimate claim to national ranking. The competition will be the toughest the Crimson has faced this year.

Harvard coach Bob Harrison said that even though the Crimson has won three straight games, it must polish its offensive game, and cut down on "silly fouls" and turnovers.

Saturday's game against Massachusetts will pair Harvard with a powerful Redman squad that is undefeated this season. Harrison said that since Harvard's opponents have tried both slowdown and running tactics, it would be hard to predict the Redmen attack.

After the Massachusetts game, Harvard hits the road for four games. Harrison said he would like to win three of the four games, expecting stiff competition from North Carolina and St. Johns.

North Carolina is a perennial national powerhouse, using fast-break and press strategy to work for the percentage shot.

North Carolina coach Dean Smith said yesterday his team likes to pressure its opponents with various combinations of zone and man-to-man pressing. This could be a problem for the Crimson, whose biggest problem this year has been ball handling.

"Harvard could probably best any team in the country if all Crimson team members played up to their capabilities," Smith said. "I expect them to be in the top 20 by the end of the season."

Tar Heels forwards Dennis Wysick and Bill Chamberiain, poss particular threats to the Crimson team, Smith said.

The Maryland Invitational will be a crucial test for Harvard. St. Johns is ranked among the top ten teams in the country. Western Kentucky, while not as strong as last years' national powerhouse, is also nationally ranked, Maryland, featuring 6'11" Tom McMillan, is 3-1 and improves with each game.

Driesell was particularly enthusiastic about the first round action. "Harvard plays St. Johns in the opening round and that should be a really great game," he said.