CATHOLICS AT HARVARD

The Mail

To the Editors of the Crimson:

I detected an obvious attempt at fairness in Raymond Urban's piece about Catholics at Harvard. I'm always impressed by fair play in print.

While I cannot agree with some of the things Mr. Urban says. I realize that these represent his own judgment or the personal opinion of others and I'm pleased to hear them express themselves. However, I think I should correct some erroneous statements attached to my name, not so much in fairness to me, but because what is said reflects rather poorly on Father Joseph Collins with whom I worked happily for three full years at St. Paul's Church.

Mr. Urban writes that, due to what is described as Father Collins' limited concept of the Church as parish I "felt increasingly stifled in (my) hope of St. Paul's becoming a truly Catholic community Church, opening up to serve all people within the Harvard Square area." He goes on, referring further to me: "Because of his strong link of obedience to Father Collins he could not openly admit his displeasures at the more parochial aims St. Paul's was limiting itself to."

I would like to say that all of this is patently false. When I arrived in Cambridge Father Collins, who administered to the Harvard community and all the people of Harvard Square for twenty five years, was the first to make me aware of the need for a wider ministry, including all varieties of people with every imaginable background and belief. Furthermore, those who are aware of my work know that I have publicly stated in the pulpit and in open gatherings that our ministry at St. Paul's is, by design and in practice, directed to the whole Catholic community in Harvard Square.

Perhaps I can also say that at times Father Collins felt a bit stifled himself in the task of making this a more effective and workable ministry. I know, for example, no man who has done more to bridge the three hundred year old gap between town and gown in Cambridge, and in the face of all the bad feelings and suspicions that still exist he suffered many frustrations I'm sure.

Finally, a word about my "obedience", whatever that means. Father Collins never once told or asked me to refrain from undertaking any part of my ministry. Whenever he offered critical advice to me in my work I believe he did so as a friend, without ever limiting my freedom to do what I thought best. (Rev.) Richard J. Shmaruk

(My judgment of Fr. Shmaruk role at St. Paul's was based on a number of interviews, both with Fr. Shmaruk himself and with other familiar with his work there. While I accept Fr. Shmaruk present evaluation of that situation, I also stand by my original Judgment.   --Raymond Urban)