City Police Bust Students

Cambridge police arrested Andrew M. Wilson '72 at 9:15 p.m. last night in his third-floor room in Briggs Hall for possession of marijuana-the first such bust at Harvard in at least ten years.

The four city plainclothesmen were accompanied by two Harvard patrolmen and Bruce MacPherson, the resident tutor in Briggs.

The Harvard police learned of the planned bust only when Cambridge officers appeared at the Harvard police station with a warrant and asked that they accompany them to make the arrest.

Wilson was charged last night with possession of marijuana, and knowingly being present in a place where marijuana is kept. Police reportedly confiscated a marijuana plant, some dried marijuana, and some pipes.

Bail was set at $500 last night. After police refused to accept Wilson's check and one signed by Bruce MacPherson, resident of Briggs, Dean Epps sent over a check for the bond.

Robert Tonis, Chief of University Police, said last night that the arrest was the first such invasion of Harvard bydrug-sniffing Cambridge policemen since he has been at Harvard.

Asked if such action might presage a harder line by Cambridge police on future busts, Tonis replied, "I don't think there was any plan here. I just think that the officers were on patrol in the area and saw something that made them decide to move in and make the arrests."