Crimson Nine Ready to Disrobe Judges

By Robert W. Gerlach

In 1954 the Harvard varsity baseball team played Brandies for the first time and lost to the Judges, 7-3. Perhaps the Crimson was just hustling the Brandies athletic administration into a trap, for Brandies is still seeking its second victory in the 17-year series.

Two years ago, the Crimson's second string scored 14 runs off the cream of the Judges pitching staff, and spectators could only guess at the score if Harvard had been half serious about the game.

So last year, to avoid humiliation, Brandies concocted a clever strategy. The Judges forfeited, and now the records show that last year's Brandies squad put up a fight before falling, 1-0.

Brandeis coach John Hughes has had a year now to devise a new approach to the Harvard game, and today at 3 p.m. on the Waltham field, Hughes will unveil his secret weapon. "We'll play our outfielders a lot deeper than usual," Hughes said.

"There's an embankment about 380 feet out in right field. I figure that'll be just about the right place to stop Pete Varney," Hughes said.

Brandeis will have numerous disadvantages today. Besides a lack of talent, the Judges have only played four games this spring. "The boys are still a little nervous out on the field," Hughes said.

Although Brandies is currently on its longest winning streak of the season-having registered its first win Saturday over Tufts, 8-7-the Judges are far from overconfident.

25 Runs

"All the team talks about all year is Harvard," Hughes said. "The Crimson traditionally plays its second string and we accept the challenge of keeping them from scoring more than 25 runs."

Hughes said that in the past Harvard second stringers have developed into long-ball hitters on the Waltham field, but this year he thinks the pattern will change. "Out pitchers have trouble getting the ball over the plate, so I'm expecting a lot of walks," he said. Against B. U., Brandies held the Terriers to nine hits but gave ten players free base-on-balls and lost, 12-3. The Judges' pitching staff is averaging more than ten walks a game.

Cantabridgian southpaw Bill Hill is scheduled to start against the Crimson this afternoon. Hughes described the sophomore as having a "decent fastball and a curve that leaves something to be desired."

Hill is not the Judges' top hurler. Brandies has three more games this week and will only use its best pitcher, junior Ed Weltman, in short relief today. "Our strength is hitting," Hughes said. "No, it's definitely not defense."

"There's a good amount of spirit on the team," Hughes concluded. "The boys are anxious to go out there and hold down the rout."

The Waltham field is also a challenge to visiting teams. When the captains meet at home plate, Pete Bernhard and Varney will listen to Brandies co-captain Bob O'Brien explain. "Now for the left field out-of-bounds, picture an imaginary line from here to that red shrub, then an imaginary line to that lamp post, then...."