JV's Burnett to Captain Next Year's Light Crew

By Richard K. Sontgerath

Howard Burnett, a junior who rowed in this year's undefeated J. V. lightweight boat, has been chosen captain of Harvard's 1971-72 lightweight crew.

Burnett's leadership capabilities and personal appeal were obvious factors in the crew's choice, since the selection of a J. V. oarsman is unprecedented.

"Howie is an excellent oarsman and I have no doubt that he will offer the leadership required by the position." lightweight coach Steve Gladstone said.

Burnert. like this year's lightweight captain Dave Harman, has never lost a crew race, but his perfect record will be on the line this summer when he and three other J. V. lightweights compete in the four-man beat competition at Henley, England.

"Needless to say. I was quite surprised." Burnett said. "I feel that the team was quite generous in their vote."

Burnett does more than row. A novice mountain climber, he intends to scale the Matterhorn this summer after the crew's European tour. Besides that. Burnett and some friends have developed a Sha Na Na routine which they perform at some of the more exquisite Lowell House parties.

One of Burnett's dreams came true two weeks ago when Muhammed All visited Harvard. Because of his practiced Howard Cosell imitation. Burnett was granted an exclusive interview with the champ. All, impressed with the routine, said. "I think I might have to punch you Howard."