Crimson Nine Meets Springfield Indians Rely on 'Pride of Skowhegan'

By Robert W. Gerlach

No matter what the outcome of the game, drama will unfold on Soldiers' Field at 3 p.m. today when the Harvard baseball team meets Springfield.

The name of the hero of the game is Willie Boynton, a junior right-hander from Skowhegan, Maine. Boynton, who did not make the starting pitching rotation last season, has come off the Indians' bench with a blazing fastball to pitch four complete games in four starts, establish a 0.87 ERA, and lead the nation in strikeouts per game (15.7).

The plot is your basic late show ballgame script Lowly Springfield, having graduated eight of nine starters, rallies around Skowhegan's Boynton for an unbelievable 12-2-1 season. And, as we enter the final scene. Boynton is on the mound against the world champion, over-confident opposition (Harvard). The score today will only determine whether the movie was a tragedy or a comedy.

Harvard isn't "up" for today's non-League, non-anything contest. Two victories away from an Eastern League title and a trip to the NCAA District 1 playoffs, the Crimson must force itself to concentrate on the Greater Boston League title at stake in a Wednesday game with Tufts. Springfield ranks slightly below Tucts in importance to the Crimson's final record.

But to Springfield, this is the big test. The Indians have amazed themselves by winning their first nine games including a 10-5 trouncing of Yale. Now, with matches with Dartmouth, UMass and Amherst coming up, Springfield lopes to begin its miracle string of upsets with the biggest of all-a victory over the 18-3 Crimson.

And the man of the hour is Boynton. Sports Information director John Davis set the stage: "Boyaton will face hitting against Harvard like he's never faced before. Why up in Skowhegan the only experience he ever got was pitching potatoes in the barn. His breaking stuff will have to be working, because the Crimson is going to learn to time his fast stuff."

Today's game could be a one-man stand. The Indians are hitting 208 as a team, and they are coming off a particularly frustrating 1-1 tie with Bridgeport.

"I don't know you," Davis said, "but I'd bet money you could throw harder than this Bridgeport guy. I was drooling for a bat myself and yet the team only got three hits."

But the Springfield line-up is packed with supporting characters. Joe Cervino, who led the team last year with a 342 average but is hitting 269 this spring, leads the nation with 20 stolen bases in 15 games.

Sophomore Tony Herdemain has made several flashy pick-ups at shortstop, although he has blown seven throws to first. And if you prefer cameo performances. Tony Kubek's cousin, Joe, will be in the Springfield bullpen.

Springfield has a history of strong teams, having won the college division championship four years in a row. But two junior pitchers, George Dipson (Twins) and Tom Badcock (Cubs) passed up their senior seasons to join the pres.

And so in comes Willie Boynton to try to make a name for himself against the Crimson today. "If we have a strength, it's him," Davis said, and Gotham City's Commissioner Gordon couldn't have said it better.