Tennis Team Takes Third in Tourney

Coach is Pleased by Performance

Harvard's varsity tennis team finished third overall in last weekend's grueling ECAC invitational tournament. Finishing ahead of Harvard in a close battle was Columbia, the host team, and a surprising Penn State team.

Rain forced the tournament indoors, where some 93 matches had to be played on six courts. Coach Barnaby said lack of rest due to the heavy schedule hurt many of the players in the early rounds. He added, however: "It was a fantastic test for our boys. They stood up to it very well."

Harvard was without the services of Harris Masterson, who was ineligible to play. Masterson has been a standout for the team, and his loss has been felt. But it does not mean the team won't be in contention in this season.

In the A division, both John and Ken Lindner played extremely well despite the rough competition. Ingard was eliminated in the first round, but advanced to the finals in the consolation round. Lindner lost in the third round to the eventual winner of the division.

In the B division, freshman Gary Reiner made his debut with the team and Barnaby feels he has "established himself as varsity caliber and will be a help to the team." He made it to the finals, but lost to the class of the field, Bunis of Columbia. Barnaby said Harvard's other B representative. Tom Loring, "gave a helluva match," but lost in a tie breaker.

Jim Esserman and Chip Baird didn't fare as well in the C division singles, but their coach was not at all displeased with their performances.

The doubles teams suffered somewhat from lack of experience because of the changes brought about with the loss of Masterson.