Chronie CRR Befalls the Faculty

DISCIPLINE

By Daniel Swanson

The Committee on Rights and Responsibilities is topical again the local point of the University's most chronic controversy.

Irate because of what they term an unjust CRR decision last June liberal Faculty members moved at a special Faculty meeting Tuesday to institute substantial reforms in the Committee's operating procedures.

Everett I. Mendelsohn, professor of the History of Science, and Fotis C. Kafatos professor of Biology, moved for open CRR hearings, a renewed attempt to obtain full student representation on the Committee, and other reforms.

Partially because of the absence of these reforms, students have three times in the last two years refused to sanction the CRR in University-wide referenda.

At the special meeting, the CRR drew fire for an entirely different reason. President Bok told the Faculty that the committee's decision in the Mass Hall occupation--not requiring any of the 34 black students involved to withdraw from school--"is not much of a deferrant" to future building occupations.

Ironically, the CRR is being charged both with being too hard and too soft on student disrupters. This problem stems in part from the lack of definitive disciplinary guidelines in the underlying Resolution on Rights and Responsibilities.

Therefore, it seems likely that any alteration in the CRR effected at the regular November Faculty meeting will be fundamental change--perhaps including a reappraisal of the Resolution itself.