Chisholm Backers Start Campaign; Will Gather Supporters for Primary

Supporters of Shirley Chisholm (D-N.Y) kicked off their Harvard campaign Tuesday with a reception in Holmes Hall.

Laurie W. Saunders and Barbara A. Schram, students at the Graduate School of Education and organizers of the campaign, held the reception to mobilize backing for April's Massachusetts primary. They asked students to register to vote and to canvass and distribute information sheets.

Chisholm for President committee at Harvard announced the following major campaign events:

*A rally on March 23 where Saundra Graham. Cambridge city council woman and candidate for Democratic convention delegate from the Eighth District, will speak. Shields said the purpose of the rally is "to get vast numbers of people to register."

*A speech by Chisholm at the annual dinner of Phi Delta Kappa, an organization at the Graduate School of Education, on April 23. Saunders said the dinner is being given in honor of women. (The local chapter has pulled out of the national organization because it does not admit women.)

Schram said that prior to mid-January, Chisholm had decided not to run because Massachusetts is a big state, an expensive state, and, I think, a Kennedy state."

However, on January 15, Chisholm supporters from throughout the state met to organize a Massachusetts campaign. Three days later they were able to win 23 per cent of the vote at a statewide convention of liberal Democrats, and this showing convinced Chisholm to launch a campaign in Massachusetts, Schram said.