Harvard Faces Yale Sunday In 76th Track Meet Rivalry

By Charles B. Straus

The locker room is swimming in a sea of signs--puns, track jokes, and words of encouragement. For on Sunday in the stadium, Harvard faces Yale for the 76th time in a special rivalry that the Crimson and the Eli have managed to preserve in an era that has seen many other traditions perish.

For the Crimson track team this year's 1-2 record, a second place finish at the GBC's and a dismal seventh at the Heps, might be too disappointing to take. But, as in football and swimming, a win over Yale "makes" a season, and the spirit and togetherness that have been the missing ingredients during this problem-filled Spring could mean the difference between winning and losing on Sunday. "We've started and stalled as often as a woman driver," coach Bill McCurdy said yesterday. "It depends completely on whether we can come together as a team."

Tossup

Wall-to-wall signs notwithstanding, the meet rates as a virtual tossup. The intangibles that a traditional rivalry always add further complicate the meet. Harvard seems to hold a slight edge in the field, and Yale the advantage in the running events, with a number of events so uncertain that they could go heavily either way.

The mile, the two, both relays, and the sprints will be key events in the running. In the mile, Bob Seals and two Yale milers are within seconds of each other, and any permutation of the three is possible. The two mile is an event that could swing either way, with Harvard's Mike Koerner and Rick Rojas--the latter not fully recovered from a viral infection--a possible 1-2 threat, depending primarily on the ability of the Yale milers to double.

Both relays--the 440 and mile--appear to be tossups, although Harvard has posted the better sprint time, and Yale the better mile clocking. The Bulldogs have strength in the hurdles, and with Dewey Hickmar doubtful, are a threat to take 1-2. The Crimson will have to offset this point accumulation in the 100 and 220, where captain Bud Wilson, Austin O'Conner, and Baylee Reid must score. "The sprints" McCurdy said, "will be pivotal."

Both Nick Leone and Bob Clayton, in the 440 and 880 respectively, are favored, but will find themselves alone in a pack of blue jerseys.

Make Hay

The field events offer "the greatest opportunity to make hay," McCurdy said. The hammer is fight, with Yale having the potential to take a dangerous 1-2, and the discus appears similarly undecided. The shot is wide open while Bill Pade and Adrian I. are a good bet for a Crimson 1-2 in the javelin.

Harvard's strength in the jumping events could also prove crucial. Vincent Venderpoole Wallice should handle the long jump easily and a Crimson sweep in the triple jump seems possible, with Kevin Benjamin a heavy favorite.