Screen

The Orson Welles continues its "Great Ladies" festival through the holidays, with Katherine Hepburn in The Philadelphia Story and the incomparable Greta Garbo in Camille. And next door they're pushing something about how people in high places aren't all they seem to be called The Werewolf of Washington. Louis Malle's Calcutta, shot at the same time as the Phantom India series (now on tv, incidentally), is at the Central along with Jean Luc Godard's Le Gai Savoir. Two more different political films would be hard to imagine, yet both apply New Wave ideas of using the camera as pen. Malle treats the masses of Calcutta with touch of a journalist more interested in shocking than explaining. Godard's effort is billed as "an essay on language, film, and revolution"--somewhat heavier fare.

A last warning: don't be tricked by the BBC version of War and Peace that begins its run Saturday on Channel 2. What you really want is the Russian version, which used to come to the Orson Welles each year around Thanksgiving, and is a very true, very big film, in addition to being the most expensive one ever made.

As for Harvard films, there ain't much a nuttin.