Higginson Tries to Keep Light Crew Streak Alive

By M. DEACON Dake

With only three returnees from an undefeated Sprint champion lightweight crew, new coach John Higginson is faced with a rebuilding job if he hopes to continue the second longest lightweight winning streak in this country's rowing history.

Higginson has inherited from Steve Gladstone, former lightweight varsity mentor at Harvard and now heavyweight coach at the University of California at Berkeley, a streak of 25 straight wins against lightweight competition, including five straight undefeated seasons and Eastern Sprint titles.

This mark is second only to Harvard's streak of 31 in a row during the mid-1960s. In fact, the streak began when Higginson was an oarsman on the heavyweight side of Newell Boathouse. Under Harry Parker, Higginson rowed in the number two seat of the varsity shells of 1961, '62, and '63. These crews recorded two Sprint titles and two wins over Yale at New London, Conn.

Higginson's three-man nucleus for his first boat consists of senior captain Andy Narva, who rowed three on last season's varsity, junior Peter Huntsman, who was in the bow last year, and last season's number seven seat George Host.

According to Narva the exact boatings are not set yet but the team will "soon be getting it together." Supplying help from last season's second varsity boat are seniors Charlie Bradshaw, last season's stroke of the Sprint titlist JVs, Dick Rutherford, and Don Watson. Junior Trumbull Cary is also back from the second varsity boat and challenging for a top position.

While Higginson received some good returning oars from last season's second varsity, he is unfortunately blessed with only two returning oarsmen from last year's Yardling crew.

Only freshman stroke Rich Grogan and Roger Bone are back again, lashed to the ergometer seat in an effort to bolster the Crimson's chances.

One thing Higginson is amply supplied with is coxswains. Last year's second varsity cox Chris Ross is returning along with first boat Yardling coxswain Paul Chessin. These two, in addition to experienced, strong-calling, and hard-charging John Bowie, will fight it out for the driver's spot.

This year's schedule is much the same as last year's with only one of the four regattas sporting a new challenger. In the opening race on April 14, the Crimson--in its only home contest of the season--will face Columbia and newcomer Coast Guard. The Guard is coached by former Columbia heavyweight mentor Bill Stowe, who seems to like the disciplinary atmosphere at his new college much better.

The only other point of interest for the season includes the Sprints on May 12. The top West German lightweight crew will be entered in the competition and should present the Crimson with quite a challenge.