Freshman Faces Decathlon As Thinclads Run, Jump

By E.j. Dionne

The exhibition season isn't over for the Harvard track team. The last pre-season extravaganza began yesterday, continues today and will be completed tomorrow as the thinclads face 15 or so other squads in the Boston College relays at the Eagles' Jack Ryder Track.

The real action won't take place until Saturday, when seven relay and eight field event teams from each of the schools entered in the meet face each other in competition.

Yesterday and today, Harvard was represented in the decathlon by one man: freshman Frank Kulash. "I'm not exactly sure where I stand in the scoring," Kulash said last night. "I know I'm not first, and I know I'm not last."

After yesterday's events--the 100 meters, the long jump, the shot put, the high jump, and the 400 meters--Brown's Ron Miller held first place. Also competing were two of Miller's Brown teammates, and runners from MIT, Springfield, the Coast Guard Academy, Bowdoin, B.C., Northeastern, Connecticut and Holy Cross.

The decathlon will be completed today with the high hurdles, the discus, the pole vault, the javelin and the 1500 meters.

Saturday's action will be Harvard's last chance to test itself before regular season competition, and that's the spirit in which Harvard coach Bill McCurdy is taking the meet.

"I don't think they announce a team winner, although they might to try to get people interested," McCurdy said last night. "Of course we'll be trying our best, but the real question is not how teams do but how individuals will do."

Of particular interest will be the sprint relay and the mile relay. "We're going to be trying to put together sprint and mile relay teams for the rest of the season," McCurdy said. "We're also going to be watching Sam Butler and John Maggio in the intermediate hurdles."

The sprints may give the otherwise strong Harvard team some problems in the regular season, which begins next Saturday against Princeton in the Stadium ("weather and the drainage in the Stadium permitting," adds McCurdy). Bailee Reed, who will be running in the 440 and mile relays on Saturday, is the Crimson's only proven sprinter.

High-potential freshmen sprinters Paul Tosetti, Mark Greenberg and Dave Rowe, along with sophomore Rick Nance, will all be running in the 880 sprint relay, and their performances will be watched closely. Nance and Jeff Dann will be running the 220 legs in the sprint medley relay, and they too will be scrutinized.

Strong performances--as usual--are expected from Jim Kleiger in the pole vault, Mel Embree in the high jump, and Jay Hughes in the shot and hammer.

Blaine Heckle and Hunt Block will be backing Kleiger on the high jump team, while Bill Bihrle and Tom Klein will join Embree in the high jump. Kevin McCafferty and Dan Jiggets or Bob Shaw will join Hughes on the shot put team, while Steve Niemi and Peter Mee will back him in the hammer.

One team to watch will be the all-GBC winner Distance Medley Relay team. Bob Clayton, Nick Leone, Ric Rojas and John Quirk will be joining together in their own Fearsome Foursome.

Scoring in the B.C. relays will not be along the usual dual meet lines. Instead of awarding points to a team on the basis of the performance of its individual members, the times or distances of the individual members of the teams will be added together to give a total team distance or time in each event.